Friday, October 19, 2007

Random Thoughts

I'm sleepy today. Another morning up at 3:00. I feel about as alert as Asa, that old bank security guard on the Andy Griffith Show...remember him? Always dozing in his chair by the door... And now I'm thinking about how every time I watch Andy Griffith I start wishing I lived in Mayberry in the early 1960s.

God, I don't know where all THAT came from. I guess it's all a part of wishing for a simpler life, and even though Mayberry is corny, it's simple.

I dreamed last night that S. was lost...and I had forgotten the dream until I saw this story on CNN.com about an 18 year old with autism who wandered away from his family and was lost for four days. http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/10/18/hiker.found.ap/index.html

I can't even begin to comprehend what this kid's parents went through. The article says the boy has the mental capacity of a three or four year old, which is close to where S. is now (he is physically age 7). The thoughts of my baby wandering around in the woods, in the cold, alone...my gut tightens up just imagining it.

On a brighter note, S. is trying harder every day to use words to communicate. Yesterday when I got home, my mom took me to his room and said, "S., tell Mama what you want." My mom wasn't able to understand him. He looked at me and said, "Ach juggleboo." I pondered. "Wait...he's asking to 'watch Jungle Book'!" :-)

That was fun. And the look on his face when he realizes that he has successfully communicated is worth a million bucks.

Well, back to work now, in my dazed and confused state. Maybe I'll write more later when the old brain cells have kicked in.


No comments: