Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Building a mystery

It's 9:05 a.m. and I am exhausted. I feel like I have run a marathon while simultaneously being beaten by a stick and juggling Ginsu knives.

Stephen woke up in a decent mood. "Time to get dressed for school!" I chirruped in what must be an annoyingly cheerful tone.

"No." A good solid answer. Not the one I was hoping for, but I can work with this.

"Yes, buddy! Time for school!" (he's not buying this)

"No!" And so the fight ensues. "Thomas and James compuuuuuu."

"No, time for school," still with a smile.

"Juggle Book...watch."

"Time for school," delivered through slightly clenched teeth.

We got him dressed, and he ran off to his room. David went in to try to cheer him up while I got his shoes. He let us get his shoes on deceptively easily...only to pull one off as soon as I got the velcro fastened.

Argh.

How can he do SO well most days and be a disagreeable grump on days like today? Well...I guess everybody has bad days, but Stephen's are so unpredictable, and he can't say, "I wish I could just stay home today," like Kerry occasionally says.

So, Stephen refused to put on his backpack, refused to walk down the hall without prodding, and then flatly refused to go out the door. He laid on the floor and began pounding his heels. David got him up and out the door. Usually by this point, if he's cranky, he accepts his fate and will sometimes almost magically transform into happy Stephen, having gotten through the transition trauma.

Not today.

I had to drag him down the stairs and into the car. By the time I got his seat belt on, he had both shoes off. Socks were next. He screamed and cried till the car felt like it was going to explode. (Mostly) unscathed I drove determinedly out to the street and started on our way. At the first intersection he grabbed handfuls of my shirt and pulled for all he was worth. When that didn't stop me from driving, he moved to my hair (which is just past my shoulders) and pulled. Hard. It brought tears to my eyes - tears of pain and of pure frustration. So he pulled, I drove, trying to get him untangled without having a wreck. I kept asking, "Stephen, WHAT do you WANT?" He would echo it back in between screams.

Finally I pulled off the road and, for a moment, wanted to keep driving at full speed and ram my car into the building I parked beside. I turned around, and bellowed, "WHAT is WRONG with you?"

["Gee, mom. Maybe I have some sort of bewildering and maddening developmental disorder. Try living inside my head for a day."]

There he sat, red faced and snotty, hair much too long and disheveled, crying. He got my hand and had me push on his chest, which he likes, and then his chin. I just looked at him. Part of me wanted to just turn around and go home. But I can't do that. Ultimately he will benefit so much more from being taken to school...so we pressed on.

We got to school, and fresh tears began flowing. I got his socks and shoes back on, and he didn't want to get out of the car. I summoned up some brute strength and got him out, but he wasn't happy. His aide (bless her) who usually runs the carpool system saw me struggling, handed off her stop sign to someone else and came over to help. She calmly talked to him and he took a few steps. We got him to his room and he signed in as usual. He hugged me and sat down at the computer. He looked at me and said, "Good-bye."

Rather anticlimactic, don't you think?

I don't know why mornings like this happen. Sometimes (MOST times) he is a delight - but when he isn't? God. It's just awful. It's heartwrenching and frustrating and fury-inducing. Not fury directed at a helpless child, but at that THING that lives in his head and takes over his personality at times.

I'm still waiting to hear from his aide. She's supposed to call me and let me know how he's doing. He'll probably be fine, and so we'll keep going, fighting our way through the dark forest, never knowing what mystery lies around the bend.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm curious to find out how his day wound up. Did everything turn out ok?

It must be so baffling how he can be so defiant one minute and the next, he's happy go lucky. It's probably even more frustrating knowing that there was probably something he wanted, whether it was food, comfort, a certain shirt to wear, whatever. But, whatever it was, if he could only communicate what it was he wanted, you very likely could have provided it easily. That's gotta be the most frustrating part.

It good that you have his aide to help. Where would the world be without people that care.

Empress of the Hidden Face said...

Thanks, Kev.

His day turned out fine, amazingly enough. And yes, it is baffling to go from one extreme to the other, often in the blink of an eye.

I am so very, very thankful for the handful of people in our lives that truly do care.

Michelle said...

I have a funny story about a student of mine..He was non verbal and autistic.. He would do this same thing every morning when he saw me..He was in the 7th grade.. You know how middle schoolers are..I cant think of one kid that wants to be at school.. He would see me and Id say " well good morning so and so" then hed look at me and yell out and hit his head.. Id just laugh at him.. He did that one time and an assistant principal saw the display..She said " So and so, that wasnt very nice" and I said to her " Well, how many middle schoolers do you know are happy every morning and want to be here?" and I said it in a jovial laughing voice.. She agreed with me and that was the last time someone ever said something like that to him.. hehe