Monday, May 25, 2009

The Rainbow Connection


Last night before I went to bed, I was about to push the line of video boxes Stephen had laid out further down the hall so nobody would trip over them in the middle of the night. Once again I glanced down the line-up, musing about his rationale (if any) in the way he placed the tapes. Occasionally he groups them by theme (Dora, Blue's Clues, etc.) but more often than not it looks completely random, even though he is extremely particular when he's creating these line-ups. If you move one out of place he quickly puts it right back.

So, above, you see last night's creation. Notice anything? Unless you're far more observant than I, it might take a minute.

As I leaned down to push the boxes down the hall, I noticed that the two yellow tapes were together. Then I noticed the red to reddish-orange boxes to the left. And the greenish tones followed by blues. Then the darker blues. There are a couple of anomalies like the Elmo box and the fuschia singalong, but otherwise it's nearly perfect.

He lined these tapes up in the "scientific" rainbow pattern. Remember "Roy G. Biv"? Red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet...the way light is split when it goes through a prism. Things like this aren't easy to pick up on ADOS screenings or such. And no, I'm not grasping at this "installation" as some clue to Stephen's brilliance. But, it IS kinda cool, huh? That his mind enjoys the pattern created by the rainbow effect, and that either instinctually or intellectually he knows the flow of color.

It's funny - Kerry's last choir performance featured a rendition of Kermit's classic "The Rainbow Connection," and at the time hearing that sweet, innocent song from my childhood made me cry. I heard it again in my head last night as I thought about my son and his life...

Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection - the lovers, the dreamers, and me...

1 comment:

cakeburnette said...

Beautiful post! And you know what? It is EXACTLY an example of Stephen's brilliance. He KNOWS, possibly instinctively, like you mentioned, or he learned it somewhere. There are so many disheartening events that you all live through--enjoy this beautiful uplifting one for exactly what it is, a bright, shiny, rainbow moment. Love you bunches, even though we haven't seen each other in ages and your babies, who I've never met! We'll have to rectify that!