Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Paying the price

Because I’m a glutton for punishment concerned parent who wants to stay informed about things, I subscribe to a Google “autism alert.” It’s a daily email that collects stories related to autism and gives you links to conveniently click ‘n read.

Most days, I give it a scan – every few days I’ll click on a story if it sparks my interest.

And then, there are days like today, when I saw this: story

There’s so much to take in, just from the blurb. You have to take it horror by horror. Mother kills son. Mother kills autistic son. Mother strangles her severely autistic son. So she could get rest. She had marital difficulties.

Okay, let me say this right up front, lest I come across as completely morally superior. There’s a part of this that I understand.

Read that again. I understand. To a point. Having a severely autistic child is horrible at times. I’ve written enough here that most of you have at least a general idea. When it’s bad, it can be very, very bad. I know what it’s like to think of desperate measures. I believe I once shared a story about driving Stephen to school while he grabbed handfuls of my hair and yanked with all his might, screaming unintelligibly, and about how I kept thinking that maybe I’d just floor it and head for the next concrete block wall I saw… The mom in this story tried to kill herself but didn't succeed.

So, I get that things get so bleak and so dark and so heartrendingly excruciating that you find yourself wishing it would all go away.

There’s a line, though, isn’t there? As parents we all toe that line from time to time – even parents with “regular” kids. But it’s about reaching inside yourself and stopping before you settle in on the other side of that line. Because it’s a one-way street over that line…you spend too long over there and you’re not coming back.

Here’s where my soul absolutely ached, though, as I read through the story. In one letter the police found in the hotel room, the mom had written: “It is funny. He was laughing when I was strangling him. That is when I knew he was happy. I had to do it because now no one can point fingers at him.”

Dear God. That child, completely unaware, laughed while the person entrusted with his care ended his life. That innocent spirit was so disconnected from reality that he didn’t even know to fight to save his own life. And the mother saw that as an acceptance, as validation of her actions. In my mind I am in that room, listening to the otherworldly laughter that we hear from Stephen all the time. I am chilled to the bone.

So while I understand the pressures, the insanity, the misery, and the utter desolation…children like this boy – the very same age as my own son – who cannot comprehend the world around them must be cared for with the most compassion we can muster. It isn’t easy. It’s rarely rewarding. It’s just damned hard. You don’t get to rest sometimes. You DO have marital problems. But caring for those who cannot care for themselves constitutes a higher calling. We don’t care for them because they ask for help, because many of them have no voice. We don’t care for them because in the end it’s all worthwhile – sometimes it falls short. We don’t love them because they love us.

My son was born into my life and the life of my family, and we are charged with his well-being. That’s the beginning and the end. We may not always be able to provide his care personally; it’s hard to know that now. But, as hard as it is and as exhausting as it can be…what we do, we do because it is right. If character is exemplified by what we do when no one else is looking, then caring for a severely autistic child even when no one is looking counts just as much.

We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost.

10 comments:

Jim said...

A very sad story, but a very nicely written piece by you.

Theodore M. Seeber said...

I got here from autism blog where I really didn't get the connection to autism.

In some ways, I now understand that connection. But in other ways- it's the marital difficulties that caused this, not the mother. The father who was unwilling, for whatever reason, to step up to the plate and *BE A MAN*, be a father to this child who needed him so much. It's not the mother who reached the end of her rope that I blame- it's the father who didn't step in to prevent his wife from reaching the end of her rope.

Empress of the Hidden Face said...

Ted, not sure what you mean by not getting the connection to autism...but regardless, thanks for your comments. I would agree that both parents have to share in the responsibilities of a child.

Theodore M. Seeber said...

When I saw this on autism-blog.com, it was posted as more general- why do some mothers kill their children, and the person was trying to connect it to poverty.

In this case, I'd blame DIVORCE rather than poverty or autism for this death. Sure, the child's inappropriate response kind of encouraged the mother (I can easily see a sensory issue where choking to death could be interpreted as "tickle" rather than "pain"). But the act itself? If the father had stepped up and taken some responsibility for the life he had created, the mother would never have gotten this stressed out.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing! We feel the same way. Today, I am grateful that I am Thomas's mamma.

Empress of the Hidden Face said...

Thank you...

Karen, I got your message. I don't think I deleted any comments, except for one that was clearly spam...

I won't publish yours unless you want me to... Let me know.

Empress of the Hidden Face said...

Karen, I think that the original poster you referred to must have deleted his posts...and mine, and I'm not sure how that happened. He shouldn't be able to delete MY comments, should he?

karen-in-cali said...

I should certainly hope not! And you're asking ME :) ? I'm the self-professed tech idiot blindly groping through these sites with half my brain tracking two kids who have no sense of danger, lol.

As far as the deleted comments, I saw that someone got a bit negative and I bristled because I think it might have been someone from another site that I frequent. I didn't think it was appropriate to take a discussion from one site to another as you probably had no idea of the context.

I have made it clear that I love reading your blog, and I post links here and there when your content hits so close to home for me. Anyway, when I saw someone taking a discussion of mine over here simply because I linked this entry made me a little uneasy. I apologize for that.

Your writing so beautifully illustrates what so many of us are thinking, feeling, and living EVERY day. And you do so not only compassionately, but realistically. I read many of your posts and think "Get out of my head! There can't possibly be two of us!" ~not that I think for one minute that my writing could ever parallel yours, only that the content is the same~

In any event, keep on writing, please. And good grief, no, don't publish my message from yesterday as it contains my email! Scary!!! :)

Empress of the Hidden Face said...

Oh, I would've taken your email out. No worries there.

But anyway...I went to autism-blogger and found where you'd linked to here (which is fine, no problem) - and I even commented here toward that one guy. And now the comments are gone.

I didn't delete them, so I dunno. Cue the Twilight Zone theme...

Thank you, Karen, for what you said. I appreciate knowing that what I write at least helps you feel less alone.

Take care!

Empress of the Hidden Face said...

Just for future reference, I have copies of the comments that were apparently deleted (I assume by the original poster). I won't repost them here unless I feel I need to...