Saturday, September 24, 2011

The reluctant traveler

It's 12:45 a.m. I'm sitting in the cramped, stuffy "spare" room at my parents' house, typing on my dad's antiquated PC. Stephen is asleep on his air mattress in their living room. I can't sleep. David will read this, note the time, and tell me: "I can't believe you didn't fall asleep!"

Stephen and I drove here at 11:30, after he became more and more restless and wired and refused to go to sleep at home. He had his meds as usual. Eventually I even gave him an extra 1/2 dose, which I'm allowed to do when he's extra stubborn (and it's been months since I had to do that). He wouldn't lie down. He kept wanting lights off, then on. He began acting like it was morning and he'd just woken up. Unbelievable.

I have no idea what happened. I am at a total loss, and that is my least favorite state of being.

He got sleepy on the ride here, but woke up as soon as I had to get him out of the car. He launched right back into his whiny, agitated state. My mom and I sat in the den and looked at the walls. At one point she said she could tell that I was not doing very well. I agreed. Finally I told her to go to bed. I closed off part of the house so at least Stephen wouldn't disturb my parents. I lay down with him and tried to hug him tight to see if that would help. It didn't.

So, I left the room, called home to let David know we were okay (well, safe anyway) and just waited. After about 5 minutes, I heard nothing, and peeked to see that he had finally collapsed.

This kind of thing used to happen all the time. Thankfully this is an isolated incident. It better be. I just can't go here, like this - not anymore.

The worst part of this whole evening is that Stephen had been fine earlier. I was feeling calm(ish) and looking forward to a good night's sleep. This came out of nowhere. What if it happens again? I know I shouldn't think that way, but I do.

The other disturbing thing is that I sit here dry-eyed. I can't even lessen the pain I feel by crying. Or sleeping.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes if you take a hot bath or read a good book or take a couple of Advil PM or drink a glass or three of red wine it helps to sleep. But, I find that sometimes all of the above at the same will help you either pass out, get angry or cry....LOL

Really, my heart is heavy...we are looking for answers hourly now because my son is 20 soon to be 21. There is no help....we have to create our own answers with limited resources.

~Leigh