Friday, August 29, 2008

Miracles out of nowhere

I haven't had a whole lot to smile about lately, just because life gets me down.

But today....

Today I went to school to meet with Stephen's "team" for his three-year re-evaluation. They needed my permission to start re-testing him so we can see where he is compared to three years ago. They didn't have to, but everyone at the meeting took time to tell me how much they love my son, and how he makes them smile every day, and how they watch him interact and learn, and how it makes their jobs feel so fulfilling, and they thanked me for trusting him into their care. What a powerful thing - to have people trained to do a difficult job thank ME for letting Stephen come to them each day. I was at once humbled and grateful to be in this place at this time.

But the best part was when I snuck down to Stephen's classroom, and peeped in (so that he wouldn't see me). There sat my little wild child, dressed neatly in one of his many striped t-shirts, in a little blue chair. The other kid who's in the room with him most of the time sat beside him, and the aide was having to hold him in his chair. But not Stephen...he sat there independently, facing the teacher, little Nikes planted firmly on the floor, and although I couldn't hear him, I could tell he was participating in circle time, as they talked about animals, and then talked about the day of the week, etc. He flapped his hands a few times but other than that there was no sign of his autism. You can't possibly imagine the elation I felt, getting to see him in this environment.

The little boy who can stir up quite a ruckus at home was sitting at school and learning, just like any other child would. I was on my knees in the hallway, looking through the tiny window, seeing his precious little head and his ears that stick out just enough to be cute...and I couldn't have loved him more. Tears streamed down my face. Proud doesn't even begin to cover it. He has so many dragons still to fight, but today...today I saw the evidence that he has certainly slain a few of those buggers.

Today is a good day, and we like to hold on to those. Mark it down, celebrate it, savor it...they are few and far between at times, but damn it if they don't feel twice as good when they happen. I didn't expect this miracle out of nowhere. Sometimes those are the best kinds.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is so wonderful to hear! I'm really happy for you.